The Power of Words
By Britney Pieta
Words are a powerful force in the world…just think about the words “I love you,” and it instantly affects how you act and feel about the person who said it.
To write well, summon your inner writer and remember to use words as a force for good. You never know who will pick up a copy of what you have written.
Here are three Bible verses about the power of words:
- Proverbs 16:24: “Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul, and health to the body.”
- · Words are food and water to the soul. They give strength and vitality back to us. (ex. a poem on love, friendships, or good memories)
- · Words keep us going in hard times and make the good times even more beautiful. (ex. a song on the radio says, “Hold onto Jesus,” a song at your wedding)
- · Words wash over you like a warm bath, by cleansing and healing your mind. (ex. reading the Bible, prayer, meditating)
- James 3:3-5: “Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. “
- · The words we speak out loud can bring us down or lift us up. (ex. your worthless vs. you are valuable, “you can do it!” vs. you will fail)
- · Words can maintain or destroy relationships. (ex. verbal abuse vs. honesty)
- · Words can change nations and the world. (ex. “I Have a Dream,” speech, )
- · Words can have the power to change the direction of your life. (ex. someone says, “I believe in you,” and encourages them to follow their dreams, a conversation with a mentor)
- · Words have the power of life and death. (ex. bullying drives someone to suicide vs. a person speaks blessings over you )
- Proverbs 12:14: “A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words.”
Whenever you write— whether it be a letter, poem, or story—each time you are planting a seed in the reader’s heart that can help them grow as a person. Every time you accomplish something for one of your writing projects, whether big or small, you will see over time how much you have grown and the beautiful effects of what you have spent so much time creating.
So keep writing no matter how hard it gets or whatever is happening around you. Something you have written could be exactly what a person or the world is looking for and needs.